How do I submit to The Aster?
You can email submissions to email@example.com! Please use this template as your subject line: "Submission: Last Name, Type of Submission" and include your full name, academic year, and contact information in the body of the email.
Use Shunn's Manuscript Format for the piece itself. Include a cover page.
What can I submit to The Aster?
Really anything that fits in print. Our submissions include, but are not limited to:
- prose, short fiction, and flash fiction
- visual arts
- cultural criticisms
- reviews and interviews relating to the arts
- excerpts are welcome, though it must have a self-contained conflict and resolution. It can hint as to what comes before and after.
Is there a submissions limit?
Yes: 4, but unlimited for visual arts.
What are the deadlines?
We are currently closed to submissions.
Short fiction guidelines
- Our word limit is a soft 1,500 words—but we won't read anything over 2,000.
- Submissions should be in standard manuscript format.
- Excerpts are welcome. Stand-alone excerpted work only, i.e., the excerpt should function as a story on its own without the context of the complete work
- Include a cover page with your name.
Visual arts guidelines
- High resolution files exported preferably in .PNG (.JPEG/.JPG accepted) and sent as an email attachment or Google Drive link
- No limit to submissions
Cultural criticism guidelines
- 500-1,000 word limit
- It doesn't have to be OU content, but rather art unto itself.
- Case by case basis
- We prefer OU content
- We prefer not just transcriptions, but some narrative content surrounding it!